A delicious, vegetable-rich, low-fat clam chowder bread bowl is on the plate today.
Restaurant foods are always addicting and appetizing visually to attract us. Genuinely they are tasty and delicious. When you are interested in fat reduction, however, then you have to try your restaurant foods at home with lighter versions.
Today I am making the clam chowder from scratch and serving the chowder in a homemade bread bowl. I tried to replace the butter wherever I can and substituted it with olive oil to reduce the saturated fat intake.
The clam broth/stock is the base for this clam chowder. So I made the broth from scratch using fresh clams to maximize the intensity and flavor of the clam chowder.
Is your clam chowder red or white?
The two main categories or variants prevalent are tomato-based broth included Manhattan clam chowder and milk or cream-based New England chowder or Boston clam chowder and Rhode Island or “clear” clam chowder with tomato broth base and potatoes.
Accompaniments for clam chowder
- Sourdough bread bowls
- Oyster crackers
- Crown Pilot Crackers
- Clam cakes
- Dinner rolls
What do I need to make clam chowder in a bread bowl
For bread bowl
As we all know bread flour has higher protein than all-purpose flour to produce lots of gluten to achieve the airy, fluffy, stringy webs through the kneading process.
Milk or water
Milk or water can be used as the liquid. If you want soft bread you can opt for milk.
Instant yeasts are quick and handy while planning for bread recipes. The active dry yeast does its job quite well.
I like to add olive oil to baking. Olive oil is not only for roasting vegetables. They are truly delicious. That story is different.
If you prefer rich, buttery bread bowl you can replace olive oil with butter.
For egg wash, I used an egg along with couple of teaspoons of milk.
For clam chowder
Fresh clams are delicious and the stock it produces is flavorful. I used fresh clams in the recipe as well as for the stocks. The meaty white clams are not to be missed.
If you prefer to use the canned clams use the stock that comes along with the clams meat for stock.
Potatoes, carrot, celery along with onion produces aromatic and flavorful stock.
Pepper and salt are the seasonings used when you prefer a mild soup. Italian spices can also be used to give a nice punch to the soup.
A low-fat white sauce is achieved through olive oil, all-purpose flour, and milk. You can make a richer and creamier white sauce using butter instead of olive oil.
Baked goods to try
Bakery-style coconut bun– A bakery-style coconut bun stuffed with coconut, flattened rice, and tutti-frutti to relish them as an evening snack.
Baked stuffed shells– A baked pasta recipe includes tofu and asparagus stuffed shells and tomato sauce as the base.
Crispy Hawaiian tortilla pizza– A crispy pizza made in a Hawaiian style using tortilla wraps. Paneer and pineapple are the flavors.
Kunafa-Middle Eastern low-fat dessert– A low-fat Middle Eastern dessert recipe that is crispier outside and gooey soft on the inside.
Falafel– A Middle Eastern snack recipe that takes place inside the wraps as well made using garbanzo beans and simple spices.
Low-fat New England Clam chowder bread bowl from scratch
- Electric oven
- Bread flour-6 cups
- Olive oil-2 tbsp
- Active dry yeast-4 tsp
- Warm water- 2 and 1/4 cups
- Salt-2 tsp
- Raw sugar-2 tsp
- Egg wash: egg-1,milk-1 tbsp
- Fresh clams-600 gm
- Onion-1/2 cup
- celery-1/2 cup
- Potatoes-1 cup
- Carrots-1/2 cup
- Olive oil-1/4 cup
- All purpose flour-1/4 cup
- Milk-2 cups
- Black pepper
- Add bread flour in to a mixing bowl.
- Add salt.
- Add sugar.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Let us start the preparation of yeast. Add yeast to the luke warm water.
- Mix well until it dissolves and keep it covered until it activates.
- Transfer the flour mix into a wide pan or vessel for the easier dough preparation.
- Add olive oil . You can add butter if you prefer a moist and flavourful bread.
- Mix well to avoid any forming of lumps.
- Add the activated yeast and make a soft and firm dough using fingers and palm.
- Keep the dough covered in a warm place for proofing for 2 to 3 hours.
- Part the dough into 6 equal parts.
- Press and shape the doughs into balls. Make a cross slit on the top of each dough to minimize the cracking of bread while baking
- Place them in a lined baking tray with adequate space.
- Preheat the oven for 200 C.
- For egg wash, take one whole egg in a bowl. Add milk and beat until they are mixed.
- Apply the egg wash on the top and sides of the dough balls.
- Bake the dough balls for 25 to 30 minutes are until they are glden in colour.
- Place them in a wired rack and wait until it comes into room tempreature/warm enough to handle.
- Boil water in a pan. Add the washed clams and cook.
- Once all of the shells are open,strain the clam stock and keep aside.
- Remove the clam meat from the shells and wash if needed. Chop them into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Add olive oil in a pan. Add flour and mix with the olive oil.Make sure their are no lumps formed and if any break them and mix well.
- Add the milk and mix well once again.
- Cook this mixture in low flame and make a thick sauce out of it.
- Put potatoes, carrot, celery and onion in a wide pan/pot.
- Add clam stock and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add salt.
- Add the prepared white sauce and cook until everything blends together and comes into a thick consistency.
- Add freshly crushed pepper.
- Add salt if needed in this stage.
- Add the chopped clams and mix well.
- Cut the top center part using a sharp knife. Deepen the center to accommodate more soup in the bread bowl.
- Pour the soup into the bread bowl and decorate with parsley.
- Serve hot as it is or with any of the accompaniments I listed.
- When the fresh calms are unavailable use the canned one. Use the stock /water in the can to intensify the favlour.
Similar recipes to try
Roasted rotisserie chicken– A roasted rotisserie chicken made in an electric oven using spices like paprika, chilli powder and cumin powder.
Healthy millet pancake cereal– A tiktok famous pancake cereal made using healthy millet flour along with oats and wheat flour.
Red velvet chocolate glazed donuts– A red velvet chocolate glazed yeasted donuts made using steam cooking.
Healthy millet cranberry waffle– A healthy waffle recipe made using healthy finger millet flour, oats flour and wheat flour and topped with homemade cranberry jam.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.