Biryani!! The name is prevalent in many of our celebrations, family occasions and memorable moments. Therefore, I am not going to elaborate on the vibrant delicacy that’s one of our go-to’s when it comes to restaurant food/takeaway or any get-together.
Most of us will say biryani is on our favourite food list. At least, we would have tasted some or more of the types of biryani that are popular and prevalent in India.
Types of Biryani
The very famous Hyderabad biryani, Lucknow biryani, Kolkatta biryani, Sindhi biryani, Malabar biryani, Thalaserry biryani, Ambur biryani, and Dindigul biryani adopt different cooking methods and different ingredients and measurements to deliver their unqiue aromatic biryani. The cooking method and ingredients enhance aroma and flavour to deliver the expected taste. Some of the common cooking methods are
- Dum biryani
- One-pot biryani
- Pressure cooker biryani
- Instant pot biryani
Ingredients and cooking methods are the distinguishing factors of the various biryanis. The region-specific biryani taste is decided by the variety of the rice, spices and the ratio of the ingredients. The very well-known biryani types are
- Hyderabad biryani
- Lucknow biryani
- Memoni biryani
- Kolkatta biryani
- Sindhi biryani
- Bombay biryani
- Calcutta biryani
- Malabar biryani
- Ambur biryani
- Dindigul biryani
- Thalaserry biryani
- Chettinad biryani
Pressue cooker chicken biryani
Today’s biryani is a pressure cooker chicken biryani which can be made with simple efforts. I won’t say it is an authentic biryani. It is simplified, as we can cook it in a pressure cooker to enjoy the biryani, with ease! Consequently, bachelors and working people can make this pressure cooker chicken biryani by following the simple steps.
Wash and soak the basmati rice for 10 minutes to 30 minutes based on the rice and its cooking time. I am using basmati rice here. The same recipe can be made with the jeera rice with the water ratio change. Some of the basmati rice brands do not need washing. If the label says no need to wash the rice, you can use the rice directly.
Some more tips to enhance the taste of the fail-proof biryani are
- Coarsely grind the ginger-garlic paste
- Thinly slice the onion
- Chop mint and coriander leaves
- You can remove the skin of the tomato if you prefer.
Exciting (and easy!) one-pot chicken recipes to try
HOMESTYLE CHICKEN MANDI | ARABIC CUISINE– A quick and fast chicken mandi recipe made in a pot with pantry ingredients.
CLAYPOT CHICKEN RICE IN A PRESSURE COOKER-A claypot chicken rice recipe made in a pressure cooker to enjoy the hawker centre recipe.
FINGER MILLET/RAGI DUMPLINGS/THIKKADI– A one-pot chicken and ragi millet dumpling recipe to enjoy healthy homemade cooking.
TORTILLA LASAGNA ON THE STOVETOP-A stovetop chicken lasagna using store-bought tortilla wraps for a healthy twist.
SPAGHETTI KRA PAO– A fusion recipe of spaghetti and basil chicken creates a medley of flavours.
How to Pressure Cook Chicken Biryani | Quick Chicken Biryani
- Pressure cooker
- 1½ cups Basmati rice 1 cup equals to 250ml
- 6 to 8 pieces Chicken 600 to 800 kg
- 3 Onion sliced thinly
- 2 Tomato chopped
- ¼ cup Curd/yogurt
- 3 to 4 inch Ginger
- 2 Garlic solo garlic/single bulb of garlic
- 1 Green chilly
- ½ cup Mint handful
- ½ cup Coriander /cilantro leaves handful
- Chilli powder
- 2 pieces Cinnamon
- 8 to 10 pieces Cloves
- 5 pieces Cardamom
- 2 pieces Bay leaf
- Heat the pressure cooker.
- Add oil in the pressure cooker.
- Add the whole spices (cinnamon,cardamom,cloves, bayleaf) and fry.
- Add sliced onion when the spices are fried enough.
- Add green chilli and fry.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry well.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Cook everything until everything blends together.
- It is time to add chilli powder.
- Now add the yogurt/curd and mix well.
- Add the washed and cleaned chicken and mix well.
- Cook the chicken in yogurt masala until the chicken is throughly coated with masala.
- Add the washed basmati rice.
- Mix the rice and the masala without breaking the rice.
- Add the water.
- Add required salt and mix gently not to break the rice.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
- Open the lid when the pressure completely gone.
- Use a fork or spoon to fluff the rice.
- This recipe requires more ginger than garlic.
- Fry the onion well to make the biryani tastier.
- Add more green chillies to spice up the biryani.
- Use Kashmiri chilli powder along with regular chilli powder to attain a red/orange colour biryani.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 10 to 30 mins for a fluffy biryani.
- You can roast the rice to attain the separate grains texture of the biryani.
- Do not mix the soaked rice forcibly as that will break the rice.
- Do not mix the cooked biryani that will result in a mushy biryani. On the other hand, fluff the rice with a spoon or fork.
Some more chicken Recipes to try
ROASTED ROTISSERIE CHICKEN AT HOME-A simply herbed homemade rotisserie chicken recipe with pantry ingredients.
SIMPLE CHICKEN CURRY – A coconut-free chicken curry made using simple spices and kampong chicken.
CILANTRO LEMONY CHICKEN-A Middle Eastern style lemony cilantro chicken for a mild flavoured tasty chicken treat.
CLEAR TOM YUM WONTON SOUP– A clear tom yum soup with chicken wonton dumplings.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.