This recipe contains two well-renowned spices, pepper and turmeric. A lot of people know about these spices’ benefits when they are consumed separately. However, when consuming them together, the effects are magnified several times. As a polyphenol, curcumin, which is found in turmeric, has several health advantages. But the greatest downfall is that it is not absorbed easily into the body. However, consuming piperine, found in pepper, boosts the absorption of curcumin.
I used tofu in the recipe, which is a staple food in all of Southeast Asia.
There are many varieties of tofu around the world, based on the softness. There are Silken, Soft, Firm. I used Firm tofu in this recipe.
- Firm tofu-2 block(medium size)
- Crushed pepper-2 to 3 tsp(based on the spiciness)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-3 springs
- Cut the tofu into small chunks.
- Fry the onion in oil till it becomes translucent. Add tofu and fry for few minutes.
- Next, add turmeric powder, crushed pepper, and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add curry leaves and cook covered to get nice golden brown colour on tofu.
- Serve hot.
- Firm tofu must be used to get the exact results.
- Crushed pepper can be replaced by pepper powder. However, freshly crushed pepper gives more fragrance and taste to the recipe.