This is a famous and stomach-friendly food from South India. Parboiled rice is normally used in this recipe. The split black gram is used with its skin to maximize the nutrition content it has.
Black gram is protein-rich similar to other pulses. It helps in bone health, improves digestion, protects heart health, boosts energy, strengthens the nervous system, and helps in managing diabetes.
This recipe will be in a slightly mushy state rather than separate grains. The same recipe can be turned into a Congee/Porridge by adding more water.
The best accompaniments for this recipe will be Fish curry or Dry fish curry.
What do we need to make black gram rice
Bar boiled rice is the rice variety I used to make this healthy rice recipe. Bar boiled rice gives the expected taste to the recipe. If you use raw rice the taste and outcome of the recipe will differ.
Split black gram is the best choice to use in this recipe. If you have the whole black gram use the blender to break them coarsely.
Fresh coconut is the optimum choice to use. You can use coconut milk instead.
Dry ginger powder along with garlic and fenugreek seed to make the protein-rich healthier and tasty.
Rice recipes to try
Claypot chicken rice in a pressure cooker- A clay pot chicken rice recipe includes mushrooms made in a pressure cooker to make the process easier and quicker.
Stuffed squid fried rice– A simple fried rice stuffed inside a squid and pan fried.
Tom yum fried rice– A tom yum fried rice includes shrimp made using homemade tom yum paste.
Healthy ghee rice– A low-fat olive oil used healthy ghee rice to enjoy in the week ends or get together.
Japanese vegetarian/vegan sushi– A Japanese vegetarian sushi recipe includes cucumber and carrots in the inside to enjoy the Japanese delicacy.
Healthy protein-packed black gram rice for a comforting lunch
- White parboiled rice-1 1/2 cup
- Split black gram with skin-1/4 cup
- Sliced onion-1 medium-sized
- Grated coconut-3 tbsp
- Dry ginger powder-1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seed-1/4 tsp
- Garlic-4 cloves
- Water-4 cups
- Wash and drain the rice and black gram separately.
- Add onion, rice, black gram, fenugreek seed, garlic, salt, water, grated coconut, dry ginger powder, and water.
- Cover the cooker and cook for 3-4 whistles based on your pressure cooker cooking instruction.
- The pressure cooker is used in this recipe to ease the cooking process. Pot cooking can be done with the same measurement of ingredients.
- White or yellow onion gives a sweet taste. I used red onion in this recipe.
- Skinned split black gram is used in this recipe. This is the main ingredient that gives the flavor and taste to this recipe.
- The whole or split black gram without skin can be replaced in this recipe if you prefer.
- Dry ginger powder can be replaced with whole dry ginger. Crush or partly grind it before adding.
Indian delicacies to try
Bakery style coconut bun– A bakery-style coconut bun stuffed with fresh coconut, sugar, and tutti-frutti.
Rice crepes– A soft and thin rice crepes recipe made using soaked rice, egg and fresh coconut for a breakfast.
Onam special-pasi paruppu/mung/moong dal kheer/payasam– A Kerala style moong dal payasam made using coconut milk, jaggery.
Sweet potato smiley– A smiley recipe made using healthy sweet potato.
Healthy finger millet puttu/steam cake– A healthy puttu/steam cake recipe made using finger millet flour. A sweet version includes Kerala banana/Nendran banana.
Pav bhaji– A simple evening snack recipe to enjoy.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly page for healthy recipes.