This dish is well known Brinjal/eggplant chops-side dish for biryani in most of the places. This will come as an accompaniment along with onion raita when we order biryani from restaurants.
Things needed for Brinjal/eggplant chops-side dish for biryani
The tangy masala contains tamarind, pepper, sesame seed and groundnut for the thick, rich gravy. I excluded the groundnut in this recipe. The masala gives the recipe the desired taste so try not to change the measurement or skip any important ingredients. The normal brinjal turns into the best side dish for biryani with ginger-garlic paste and pepper.
Similar Indian recipes
Healthy Finger Millet dumpling recipe – Healthy finger millet dumplings are blended with an aromatic, tasty masala.One of the festive and special occasion food made with chicken.
Vegetarian Dalcha– Vegetarian pulse stew made with vegetables and can be accompanied by ghee rice, biryani.
Healthy Finger Millet Puttu– Healthy finger millet steam cake recipe made with Kerala banana and palm sugar to make it a healthy snack.
Paneer/Cottage cheese Balls– Healthy evening snack item. I used Appe pan to avoid the deep frying and the taste is not compromised.
Brinjal/Eggplant Chops-Side dish for Biryani
- 1 Brinjal/Aubergine/Eggplant big
- 1 Chopped onion medium-sized
- 4 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Tamarind juice
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1½ tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seed
- few Curry leaves
- 3 tsp Sesame seed
- 1 tsp Peppercorn
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- Heat a pan. Dry roast by adding the ingredients one by one.
- First, add Peppercorns. Wait for a while and add cumin seeds. Stir frequently to avoid burning the seeds.
- Add sesame seeds and turn off the flame. Stir and keep aside for cooling.
- Powder the roasted ingredients.
- In a hot pan, add oil.
- Add mustard seed and fry until the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add onion and saute until the onions turn into golden brown.
- Add tomato paste and cook until everything blends together.
- Add brinjal/aubergine/eggplant and mix well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and tomato paste.
- Add salt.
- Add tamarind water and cook covered until the eggplant is half done.
- Add chilli powder.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add asafoetida.
- Add the powdered masala.
- Add water and curry leaves.
- Cook covered.
- Eggplant chops are ready to serve.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.