Are you planning for a Friday dinner? Why not try the Pasta arrabbiata with steamed vegetables and fish?
This was my Friday dinner platter, which is my kids favourite too. I try to include vegetables along with pasta for the complete meal fulfilment.
The pasta comes under the Italian cuisine and is classified into dried or fresh. The three main categories are pasta with sauce, soup-style pasta and pasta baked along with other ingredients. Pasta salads are served as a light lunch or first course.
Broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, beans, asparagus, and artichoke are commonly used in steaming.
Steamed fish, battered fish, chips style fish or Dill weed salmon can accompany the pasta arrabbiata.
Ingredients for Pasta
- Penne Pasta-200 gm
- Oil-1 tsp
- Salt -1/4 tsp
- Water as required
Ingredients for Sauce
- Italian seasoning-1tbsp
- Powdered oregano-1tsp
- Olive oil-2 tsp
- Chopped garlic-5 cloves
- Chilli flakes-1/2 tsp
- Salt for taste
- Pepper for taste
- Sliced olives-5-6
- Cheese (optional)
- Boil water in a pot. Add pasta, salt and oil. Allow it to cook.
- Strain the water. Rinse the pasta in cold water and strain it again. Add little oil and toss the pasta to apply oil evenly. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, put tomatoes in a blender and make a smooth tomato puree.
- In a hot wok or pan add oil, add garlic and onion. Saute until the onion becomes translucent.
- Now, it is time to add the tomato puree. Then, add salt, oregano, Italian seasoning and chilli flakes. Cook well until the tomato puree thickens into a pulp. Add olives.
- Add pepper according to your preference.
- Mix the pasta with sauce before serving.
- Serve hot with steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
- I am using wholemeal Penne Pasta. Try to use wholemeal or whole wheat pasta in your daily food to make the recipe more nutritious.
- I am using store-bought Italian seasoning.
- If you want the recipe to be less spicy, avoid chilli flakes.
- If you don’t want to add the tomatoes with skin on, put the tomatoes in hot water. Then cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes. Now it is easy to remove the skin from tomatoes.
- If you prefer to add cheese, parmesan and cheddar cheese are the good options.
Pasta and sauce combinations
- Spaghetti, Linguine, Angel hair- tomato sauce, cream or oil-based sauce, mild seafood sauce.
- Lasagna, Fettucine- rich meat sauce, creamy sauce
- Orzo, Farfalle, Rochetti, Tripoline- soups, stews, pasta salads, casseroles
- Fusilli, Rotini- mild smooth sauces(pesto)
- Pipe Rigate, cavatelli- heavy cream or meat sauce
- Penne, elbow macaroni, Bucatini, Ziti -hearty vegetable sauce, ragu, bolognese
- Tortellini, ravioli- light butter or oil sauce