This is one of the best side dishes or a spread to a bread, chapati or wrap. Yes, I am talking about homemade tomato jam, a healthy alternative to store-bought jams and spreads that include preservatives and artificial flavourings. This recipe can be made ahead to ease up the morning breakfast work if you want to have bread. The best thing about this homemade jam is you can control your sugar intake by adjusting the sugar level according to your need and taste. I don’t have a sweet tooth, so this recipe helps me in a way to adjust the sweetness I need.
Are homemade jams cost effective?
That depends based on the quality of fruits and ingredients you use. One thing is for sure, they are tasty and healthy as we know what are the ingredients we use.
Are the homemade jams are worth to try?
Yes, If you want healthy yet tasty food that too you prepared for your family with the best ingredients. You can prepare this jam if you are into easing up the weekdays routine. A simple effort will give you satisfaction when your kids will have this homemade jam.
How to store homemade jams?
This jam will stay in a refrigerator for up to one month. If you plan to store for more time add lemon juice or citric acid to extend its shelf life.
What do I need to make tomato jam?
This jam recipe needs ripe tomatoes that are very red to retain the color. Pineapple chunks gives a chunky texture and the bits are tasty when bitten. Sugar works as the preservative here to retain the taste and life of the jam. A pinch of salt is used like in any other sweet dishes. Cardamom powder enhances the taste and goes very well with sugar dishes. Ghee is used to preserve the jam and enhance the flavor and taste.
Recipes to pair with Jam
Brinjal/eggplant chops for biryani– A brinjal /eggplant chops side dish made using freshly ground spices and tamarind to enjoy with biryani, ghee rice and variety rice.
Vegetarian dalcha for biryani– A vegetarian dalcha recipe includes protein-rich dals and vegetables in a curry to pair with biryani.
Simple chicken curry– A simple chicken curry made using pantry ingredients along with potato.
Healthy ghee rice– A ghee rice made using oilve oil, spices and condiments to enjoy in special days.
How to make tomato jam | Easy jam recipe
- Sugar-1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Pineapple chunks-1/2 cup
- Salt-2 pinches
- Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Ghee-1 tsp
- Cashew nut and Raisins-1 tbsp each
- Boil water in a pot.
- When the water is hot enough, remove from heat and add tomatoes.
- Keep covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When you see the skin of the tomato is shrinked remove from water.
- Peel the skin and remove the core.
- Use a blender to grind into a puree.
- Cook the pureed tomato in medium heat.
- When the puree is getting thicker and half way through add sugar.
- Add the chopped pineapple chunks and cook well.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- When pineapple cooked and the tomato puree is thick add cardamom powder.
- Add ghee and cook until all the water evoparates.
- The jam is ready to serve.
- Peeling the skin of the tomato will yield a smooth jam.
- Remove the core as well for a good result.
- Adding chopped pineapple will give a nice chunky texture.
- You can add fried raisins and cashew nuts for a rich taste.
- Serve the jam at room temperature for better taste.
- Store the jam in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Rice crepes/ no fermentation breakfast– A no fermentation, quick to make breakfast or dinner recipe made using rice, eggs and coconut.
Easy mutton/mince kebab– An easy and make ahead kebab recipe using mutton mince. Easy to adapt recipe for a quick non-veg treat.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.