Sago is a pith from the sago palm. The white pearls resemble tapioca pearls. At least one sago dessert, hot or cold, will be present among the dishes prepared for a special occasion. Festival days will not be complete without sweet dishes containing sago.
The sago is easy to include in most of the sweet dishes. This is because it can act like a substitute or add-on item. The sago pearls easily absorb the flavour and taste of the main ingredient and merge very well with the other ingredients too.
Most of the Indian sweet desserts and kheers call for Sago pearls. Fresh mangoes are always people’s favourite. As they tend to be available in seasonal times, I used to preplan and keep a list of recipes to create different mango recipes.
Green mangoes are used to make pickles, raw mango chutneys, pachadi and curries. Dehydrated or dried mangoes are used in Indian curries. Mango pomelo sago is a type of contemporary Hong Kong dessert.
Here, I made a quick mango sago dessert. When you have all the ingredients handy, the dessert will be ready in 30 minutes. The ripe mangoes will always get along well with coconut milk. I am adding basil seeds to enhance the flavour.
Sago vs tapioca pearls
Sago is made from starch extracted from the pith of tropical palm trees. Tapioca pearls, on the other hand, come from cassava starch.
Chia seed vs basil seed
They’re similar in size to chia seeds, and also become gelatinous when wet-though they still retain their crunchy interior.
What we need to make mango sago
This recipe demands a sweet mango. You can use any sweet mango varieties like Alphonso, Kesar, Cause, badam. I am using Thai honey mango as they are very sweet.
The small black seeds also called sabja seed, tukmaria is one of the ingredients. When they are soaked become gelatinous when wet-though they still retain their crunchy interior. These sabja seeds are used in various drinks and desserts to increase volume and taste. The sabja seeds do not have any flavour and taste and they easily absorb the main flavour and taste of the drink or dessert when included.
The coconut cream gives a nice aroma and taste to this dessert. The natural sweetener gives sweetness to the dessert makes the dessert rich. I am using the store-bought coconut cream in this recipe. You can use homemade coconut milk as well.
To reduce the fat content of the dessert I am substituting milk. By adding the milk along with coconut milk we will not miss the rich coconut aroma at the same time we can reduce the fat level.
As we know the sago is a pith from a tree. You can substitute tapioca pearl for sago when it is not available.
Sugar is added in this recipe to maintain the sweetness of the recipe. Here, I am using raw sugar. You can substitute your favourite sweetener as well.
Similar mango recipes
Father’s day special eggless mango muffin– To thank and celebrate our selfless father we should make something special on a special day. So I decided to make some dessert with mango.
White chocolate mango cups– A dessert recipe in which mango pulp is used as the main ingredient and white chocolate is used to make cups to contain the sweet mango.
Mango Mousse– This light and airy textured dessert have cream as the base ingredient.One of the best and easy mango recipe to try in this mango season. This is the best dessert recipe for parties too.
- Sago pearls-100 gm
- Milk-2 cups
- Coconut cream-100 ml
- Raw sugar-6 tsp
- Ripe mango-1 medium-sized
- Basil seed-2 tbsp
- Boil water in a pan. Add sago pearls and cook until they are soft and transparent.
- Use a strainer to separate the pearls from the starch water. Wash the tapioca pearls in normal water and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, soak the basil seeds in water.
- Now chop the mango into chunks.
- Pour the milk and coconut cream in a pan. Keep this on low heat. Add sugar and mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- When the milk is warm enough add sago pearls and keep aside.
- Now it is assembling time. In a glass cup or bowl, pour the milk.
- Add mango chunks, basil seeds. Serve chilled.
- Raw sugar can be replaced with palm sugar. But the colour may change.
- I used Thai mango here. Any ripe, sweet mango can be used.
- Coconut cream will be thick. If you are using homemade coconut milk use the first extract.
Mango jam and Kheer are flavourful desserts to try.
Health benefits to include basil seed
- Helps in digestion and relieve stomach issue like constipation.
- Helps to reduce inflammation.
- Supports respiratory system.
- Helps to reduce anxiety and depression.
- Building bone and muscle health.
- Regulates blood sugar.
- Controls blood cholesterol.
Check out my YouTube channel Game Of Spice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.