Chinese new year holidays are going to end. The morning rush hour is going to come back soon. So I thought of making a snack item for kids today. This is a simple and healthy snack, so it is ideal for an evening snack.
I am using cake flour in this recipe. If you have all-purpose flour, you can add that as well. I am adding cardamom powder and vanilla extract to balance the egg flavour.
Nowadays, I am finding it more convenient to steam dishes than to bake them. I tried this recipe several times in a non-stick pan. This time I wanted to try it on steamer.
Milk powder and cake flour gives volume to this recipe.
- Cake flour-1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Milk powder-1/4 cup
- Raw sugar-1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract-1/2 tsp
- Baking powder-1/4 tsp
- Chopped nuts(optional)-3 tbsp
- Peel and decore the apple. Dice them.
- Meanwhile, separate the egg white from yolk. Use a hand beater to make it fluffy.
- In a blender, add apples, flour, eggs, cardamom powder, sugar and vanilla extract. Blend it thoroughly to get a smooth batter. Add the egg whites and mix gently.
- Now, slice the nuts into thin strips.
- Next, add nuts to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan or in a pan covered with baking sheet.
- Keep the pan in a hot steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
- For a cold dessert keep this in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Apples can be replaced with banana in the same recipe.
- The egg white separating and beating makes the cake fluffy.
- The nuts are purely optional.
- The same recipe can be done in a non-stick pan. For that, pour the batter in the pan. Keep the heat in low. Cook for 20-30 minutes based on the pan’s size. Turn the cake into its other side and cook it for 5 more minutes to get a nice brown colour on both sides.
- Cover the lid of the steamer with clothes tied outside, to prevent the steam drips into the batter.
- I am using the stovetop steamer for this recipe.