Chinese New Year holidays are going to end. The morning rush hour is going to return soon. So I thought of making a snack item for kids today. This is a simple and healthy snack, so it is ideal for an evening snack.
This is very easy to make and also does not take up much time. Kids love this rather tasty evening snack/dessert as it is soft, moist, and fluffy and tastes and feels like pudding. Unlike normal cakes, this Steamed Apple Cake is not spongy. Children who dislike the smell of eggs can also eat this snack as the egg smell is not so apparent.
You can savour this snack both warm and cold and it can be kept for 1-2 days when refrigerated.
I am using cake flour in this recipe. If you have all-purpose flour, you can add that as well. I am adding cardamom powder and vanilla extract to balance the egg flavour.
Nowadays, I am finding it more convenient to steam dishes than to bake them. I tried this recipe several times in a non-stick pan. This time I wanted to try it with the steamer.
Milk powder and cake flour gives volume to this recipe.
Are there other cooking other options instead of steaming apple cake?
Using non-stick pans, we can cook the cake on low flame for 20-25 mins as an alternative to steaming.
What else can we use in place of cake flour?
You can use All Purpose flour/Plain flour/Maida.
Can we replace the eggs with Egg Replacer?
No, you cannot substitute the eggs.
What do we need to make Steamed Apple Cake?
You can use any type of apples as long as it is sweet. You should not use the sour types as it ruins the cake’s taste.
I am using Kampong eggs here. You can use brown/white eggs.
Milk powder gives taste and richness to the apple cake. Any brand of milk powder will work.
Cake flour makes the recipe soft and light comparing other flours.
Cardamom and vanilla extract are the flavorings I am using in the apple cake.
The raising agent is used to make the cake fluffy and light.
Red velvet yeast chocolate glazed donut– A steamed red velvet yeasted donut glazed with chocolate is a must-try healthy alternative to the regular deep-fried version.
Air fryer tapioca cake– An air fryer Malay style tapioca cake recipe which will take a good place in the parties and get together.
Durian muffin– A steamed soft, moist and fluffy muffin made using fresh durian.
Steamed banana pudding– A steamed pudding made using wheat flour, banana, egg, and brown sugar to relish a healthy snack.
Steamed goodness: How to make a steamed apple cake
- Apples-3 medium-sized
- Cake flour-1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Milk powder-1/4 cup
- Raw sugar-1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract-1/2 tsp
- Baking powder-1/4 tsp
- Chopped nuts optional-3 tbsp
- Peel and decore the apple. Dice them.
- Meanwhile, separate the egg white from the yolk. Use a hand beater to make it fluffy.
- In a blender, add apples, flour, eggs, cardamom powder, sugar, and vanilla extract. Blend it thoroughly to get a smooth batter. Add the egg whites and mix gently.
- Now, slice the nuts into thin strips.
- Next, add nuts to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan or in a pan covered with a baking sheet.
- Keep the pan in a hot steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
- For a cold dessert keep this in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Apples can be replaced with bananas in the same recipe.
- The separation of egg white and beating it makes the cake fluffy.
- The nuts are purely optional.
- The same recipe can be done in a non-stick pan. For that, pour the batter into the pan. Keep the heat low. Cook for 20-30 minutes based on the pan’s size. Turn the cake into its other side and cook it for 5 more minutes to get a nice brown color on both sides.
- Cover the lid of the steamer with clothes tied outside, to prevent the steam from condensing and dripping into the batter.
- I am using the stovetop steamer for this recipe.
Stuffed wonton ravioli pasta– A tofu , mushroom stuffed wonton ravioli pasta recipe to enjoy the Italian delicacy.
Finger millet steam cake/puttu– A healthy steamed breakfast with the nutrient of millets to relax and enjoy the evening.
Thai-style steam fish with lime and ginger– A steamed Thai-style fish with the freshness of lime, ginger, lemongrass and chilli.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.