Potato smileys are my kids’ favourite. Even we adults like a happy face. I Tried the same old potato smiley recipe with sweet potato to make the recipe healthier.
Lesser ingredients make the recipe more convenient to prepare even in weekdays. I deep fried the smileys as the main consumers are my kids. If you prefer the less oil version, try Air-frying the smileys based on the manual provided by the air fryer.
I used to prepare my bread crumbs using store-bought bread. As we cannot finish the whole loaf I will dry them in the sun and crumble using a blender.
- Boiled Sweet potato-1 cup
- Bread crumbs-1/2 cup
- Rice flour-1/4 cup
- Chilli powder-1/4 tsp or pepper powder-1/4 tsp
- Mash the boiled sweet potato. Add breadcrumbs, rice flour, salt, chilli powder or pepper powder.
- Mix them until everything blends together. Now make a dough.
- Partition the dough into 2 or 3 small doughs.
- Flatten the dough above a baking paper by using your palm or rolling pin.
- Use a circle-shaped cutter and cut the flattened dough. Now use a straw to make eyes. Use a toothpick to make a smile. Keep them aside.
- Deep fry the smileys. Serve hot with Tomato ketchup or Mint-cilantro chutney.
- Make sure there are no lumps when making the dough.
- The same recipe can be used to bake the smileys.
- Air fryer can be used to avoid the deep-frying process.
- If you like Italian seasoning you can add that too.
- This recipe can be frozen for future use. After preparing the smileys, freeze them in ziplock pouches. When you need them to take out from the freezer and fry or air fry.