This is one of my kid’s favourite takeaway recipe. I was planning for tomorrow’s cooking when I found most of the important ingredients for Tom Yum fried rice in my overloaded freezer.
On that day, we were going to the wet market for that week’s grocery purchase. So, it was absolutely possible to make tom yum fried rice with fresh prawns.
I like to include seafood in our food as much as possible. That too, fresh seafood gives the satisfaction. Previously, I had some bad outcome when I didn’t check the freshness of the seafood. We can identify the freshness from the smell in the time of cooking, by when it is usually too late to replace the seafood.
You can check my Tom yum soup recipe for a clear Tom Yum base. Store-bought sambal paste or chilli paste can be used in this recipe.
What we need to make tom yum fried rice
Long grain rice
Any long grain rice will work in this recipe. Basmati is the variety I am using. You can use short grain rice if you prefer so. The cooking time and the starch will differ compared to long grain rice. Cooked rice has to be cooled down to normal temperature before making fried rice like any other fried rice making procedure. If you have time you can cook earlier the rice and make it cool down to room temperature and keep in the refrigerator for 6 hours to get non-sticky fried rice.
Seafood tom yum fried rice is very aromatic and flavourful. Fresh shrimp/prawn gives the best result.
As always eggs have a place in fried rice. Here also, I am using eggs to make the fried rice complete.
Vegetables and greens
Onion, kailan, tomato are the fresh vegetables I used in this recipe.
Spring onion, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, cilantro are the herbs that take place in this Tom Yum.
Sauces and condiments
Along with lemon juice and sugar, I used Sambal paste/Thai chilli paste, Fish sauce, soy sauce to season the fried rice.
Thai recipes to try
Steamed fish with lime and ginger-A steamed fish made in Thai-style using fresh ingredients and herbs to make more flavourful.
Red ruby milk pudding-A refreshing Thai dessert served on Thai restaurants.A low-fat dessert to beat the summer.
Hibiscus juice-A refreshing juice made using fresh hibiscus flowers.A tart flavoured nutrient juice to try.
Thai Cuisine: how to make tom yum fried rice from scratch
- Galangal-6 slices skin removed
- Lemongrass-6 inches white part only
- Kaffir lime leaves-6 Remove the vein and chop into small pieces
- Thai chilli paste or sambal paste-3 tbsp
- Fish sauce-2 tbsp
- Soy sauce-2 tbsp
- Sugar-2 tsp
- Lime juice-4 tbsp
- Cleaned Shrimp or prawn-10
- Chopped onion-1/2 cup
- Kailan Chinese Broccoli-4 stalks
- Cooked long-grain rice-2 1/2 cup
- Sliced tomato-2 Deseeded
- Chopped green onion-2
- Chopped cilantro-few
- Sesame oil
- Chop galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves into small pieces.
- Add the sauces and lime juice in a bowl and mix them well. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, season the hot wok. Add egg and cook until it becomes scrambled. Keep aside.
- Fry the shrimp with little oil until the colour changes and keep aside.
- In a hot wok add oil. Add chopped galangal, lemongrass and lime leaves. Saute for 2 minutes. Now add onion until it turns translucent.
- Add the Kailan and cook until the broccoli turns into a bright green.
- Add rice and pour the sauce over the rice.
- Add the sliced tomato. Mix well until all the grains covered with sauce.
- Now, add shrimp and egg. Mix them together.
- Sprinkle chopped green onion and cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot.
- Kailan is a leafy vegetable with broad flat leaves and fat stems. It looks different from the regular broccoli and has a bitter taste.
- Galangal resembles ginger in appearance and taste. If you don’t find galangal replace it with ginger.
Pudding recipes to try
Low-fat alcohol-free pina colada pudding-A low-fat pina colada recipe made using fresh pineapple and coconut milk.
Bread nendran banana pudding-A quick to make banana bread pudding made using bread and Kerala banana(nendran banana) to ease the evening snack preparation.
Boba custard pudding– A custard pudding made using yoghurt,condensed milk and topped with boba pearls.
Check out my YouTube channel Game Of Spice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.