Nowadays vegetarian and vegan delicacies are popular among food recipes. Vegetarian cookbooks and even vegan cookbooks are available all over the internet.
Restaurants with vegan options are common too. Fortified cereals compensate the zinc necessity for vegans and vegetarians. Flaxseed and seaweed are vegan replacements for Omega 3.
I was searching for a healthy vegetarian recipe that freezes well. I try to make some good recipes in large quantity to use them in future.
After many days of researching on the internet, I came through the word ‘Chili’. Sounds good, right?
Then I researched many recipes and came to a conclusion with slight adjustments for the recipe to suit my tastebuds.
The celery gives a good taste and aroma to the recipe. I don’t have black beans and pinto beans which are mainly used in most of the Chili recipe. I went with red kidney beans and black-eyed beans because they are available in my pantry.
This is my first time trying this recipe so I am crossing my fingers. Smoked paprika gives a nice flavour to the recipe.
When I made this recipe I realized I that I had done something worthy for spending my time. This recipe freezes well. The protein from beans and fibre from vegetables fills your stomach.
Here, I prepared the vegetarian version. Any meat can be added to enhance the flavour.
- Red onions-2
- Red bell pepper-1
- Celery-2 ribs
- Sweet potato-2medium-sized)
- Garlic-5 to 6 cloves
- Sweet corn-1/2 cup
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Cumin powder-1 tsp
- Smoked paprika-1 tsp
- Oregano powder-1 tsp
- Chopped tomato-5
- Black beans or red kidney beans-1 1/2 cup
- Pinto beans or black-eyed beans-1 1/2 cup
- Vegetable stock or water-2 cups
- Chopped cilantro-2tbsp
- Chopped parsley-2 tbsp
- Lime juice- 1 to 2 tsp
- Extra-virgin olive oil-2 tbsp
- Soak the beans overnight or for 8 hours.
- Cook them with enough water until they become soft.
- Heat a big pot or pan, add olive oil. Add bay leaf
- Saute the onions and garlic until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sweet potato and carrot and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Now add the stock water from the beans along with vegetable stock or water.
- Cook for few more minutes. Now add corn kernels, celery, and cook covered. Remove the bay leaf. Add the cooked beans.
- Add salt, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin powder, oregano powder along with capsicum.
- Add chopped cilantro, parsley, lemon juice and mix them well.